EntertainmentTop Story

Beverly Afaglo Reveals Why She Ditched Facebook In 2001

Actress Beverly Afaglo has revealed the reason behind her decision to abandon Facebook in 2001.

In a conversation with Emelia Brobbey, the host of Adom TV’s Okukuseku, Beverly disclosed that she became a victim of cyberbullying after a GoFundMe campaign was initiated to support her in rebuilding her life after a devastating house fire in 2021.

Beverly explained that her colleague Yvonne Nelson came up with the idea of utilizing GoFundMe to gather financial assistance from her fans and well-wishers, aiming to help her recover from the tragedy.

However, instead of the expected support, she was bombarded with hurtful insults from Ghanaians, which caught her completely off guard.

The majority of these hurtful comments were received through Facebook, leading Beverly to make the decision to discontinue her use of the platform for the sake of her mental well-being.

“People insulted me on Instagram and other apps, but Facebook was the worst. I didn’t know where the attacks were coming from because I didn’t understand why I was being attacked when I had lost everything,” she noted.

Recall that on Monday, August 9, 2001, a devastating fire engulfed the residence of the actress in Tema, destroying valuable property worth millions of cedis.

Tragically, Beverly, who is married to Eugene Baah, also known as Choirmaster from the Hiplife group Praye, and her family were not present at the time of the incident.

In an Instagram video, she expressed her despair as the fire raged for approximately four hours, leaving her with nothing but the clothes she was wearing. Overwhelmed by the loss, she expressed uncertainty about where to begin rebuilding her life.

She wrote, “My house burnt down to ashes within 4hrs …… Everything gone, my passports, clothes, shoes, bags, wigs, jewelry, perfumes, my furniture, my kitchen everything gone 😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭 My kids room and all their clothes everything is gone. I’m left with what I wore out that’s all. Thank God there are no casualties but where do I start from? 😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭.”

In another post, she wrote that even though the fire service responded on time, they were not able to get into the house for over 40 minutes because of the heavy smoke so nothing was salvaged.

“The fire service got in on time but over 40mins they couldnt go inside because of the heavy smoke (I was wondering why they don’t have protective gears for smoke. Why are they not well equipped 😢 gosh) they stood there deliberating and another came and that was the worse, they had to use a generator but it couldn’t start which also took awhile, then another came which went thru a nieghbours house to the back of the house and started putting off the fire but it was too late 😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭 My mum, the kids nanny, the kids and I are all left with nothing 😭😭😭😭😭😭😭
This country let’s stop doing partisan politics and set our priorities right and stop the misplaced priorities. Ghana hmmmmmm,” she stated.

Source – Tru News Report

Gabs

Gabby Nash, popularly known as Gabs, is an incredibly talented writer and blogger. With an extensive career spanning over 15 years in journalism, Gabs has established a reputation for excellence that is truly remarkable. Throughout the years, he has contributed numerous thought-provoking articles and blog posts to various prominent Ghanaian websites and blogs. In the late 90s, he began his writing journey with Graphic Showbiz, Junior Graphic, and The Mirror, which is a subsidiary of Graphic Communication Group Limited. His articles have consistently showcased a deep level of insight and wisdom.
Back to top button