In a new update to the Waakye food poisoning recorded at Oyibi, which is part of the Adenta Municipality in the Greater Accra Region, the Food and Drugs Authority (FDA) has said it officially received notification about the suspected foodborne disease outbreak and has acted swiftly on the issue.
In compliance with the Food Safety Emergency Response Plan, a joint investigation with the Ghana Health Service (GHS) allegedly got underway right away. According to the FDA, a joint investigation with the Ghana Health Service (GHS) began right away in accordance with the Food Safety Emergency Response Plan.
“Investigations revealed that a total of fifty-three (53) people experienced symptoms of foodborne disease after consuming waakye or plain rice and tomato stew from a food vendor called Yellow Sisi located at Bush Canteen, a suburb of Oyibi,” a statement issued by the FDA on Friday January 27 said.
It added “So far one (1) person has been reported dead, but the exact cause of death is yet to be confirmed. Environmental assessment of the food preparation site located at Malejor and the three vending sites at Bush Canteen, Prison Joint and Sharp Curve Joint revealed poor food handling practices which could have resulted in the contamination of the food, leading to the foodborne disease outbreak.
“The FDA has suspended the operations of Yellow Sisi until measures have been put in place to ensure that their activities are brought into compliance to prevent future occurrence.”
The FDA said it launched its street food vending scheme in November 2021, in conjunction with the Metropolitan, Municipal, and District Assemblies.
The FAO Healthy Street Food Incentive Project established the Scheme, which aims to grant compliant sellers with a Street Food Vending Permit.
Source – Tru News Report