Chelsea FC has joined the rest of the football world in mourning the loss of Christian Atsu. The body of the former Chelsea FC player was discovered in the crash site of a collapsed building in Türkiye on February 18, 2023.
This afternoon, February 18, 2023, Chelsea displayed a photo of Atsu on the scoreboards and video boards at Stamford Bridge Stadium to pay tribute to the fallen hero.
The former Premier League player who played for both Newcastle United and Chelsea went missing after the terrible earthquake that hit Turkey and Syria on Monday, February 6.
Earlier, false reports said that Atsu had been rescued and taken to the hospital because he was having trouble breathing and had hurt his right foot.
But one of Atsu’s teammates, Kerim Alici, posted on Instagram that the winger had not been found.
Then, Turkish journalist Yagiz Sabuncuoglu tweeted that Atsu and Hatayspor’s sporting director Taner Savut were still buried under the rubble.
Only hours before the tragic incident took place, he scored a last-second winner for his current club Hatayspor against Turkish Super Lig rivals Kasimpasa on February 5 at home. Atsu joined the Turkish side in September of last year and was in Antakya at the time of earlier this month’s earthquake.
His agent, Nana Sechere, said: “It is with the heaviest of hearts that I have to announce to all well-wishers that sadly Christian Atsu’s body was recovered this morning My deepest condolences go to his family and loved ones. I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone for their prayers and support.
Currently, the Ghanaian Embassy in Turkey is working with the Turkish government to arrange for the body to be transported to Ghana for burial.
Source – Tru News Report